Wildlife

Carrie's parents live outside of Rochester in a little town called Pittsford. The Erie canal is just outside the main road, we are surrounded with trees, and it's cold, way too cold. With the cottonwood trees (I think ... in Texas we have pine pollen) releasing their floating seeds into the air it's almost like snow in June until you inhale and choke on one. We are also surround by an abundance of wildlife: woodpeckers, chipmunks, raccoons, hummingbirds, lots of other birds that are pretty and I can't name, and lots of deer. I was up one morning and was stunned to see a deer just outside the living room windows. She just turned and watched me. My father-in-law came around the corner and I mentioned the deer and asked if they usually come this close. As he headed outside in his bathrobe, I remembered the camera and ran downstairs. Of course by the time I returned the deer was gone. Apparently they are a big nuisance and eat new tree shoots and flowers. They say people use firecrackers and motion sensing sprinklers, and they have been talking about purchasing a slingshot. My in-laws have already captured, relocated and released at least two chipmunks and a raccoon. I think of the capture and release as a twisted form of animal hazing.

0 comments: