English Dave in Dhaka


I can't believe it but someone we actually know came to Dhaka for a conference (He's in the British Foreign Service ... and i'm pretty sure he's a spook) . We were able to touch base with Dave for the week he was here. He was staying in the Westin which is right around the corner from us and was treated to the BHC (British High Commission Club .. I t) but Carrie and I also showed him the ARA. There was also the Thursday night premier of G3: The Wrath of Godzilla at our apartment (it was well received ... we even watched the deleted scenes and the 1st Godzilla). Then I went into old downtown Dhaka for the 1st time just to prove the reason I usually give of why I have not been down there before. It was an interested experience although I think Dave and Caroline thought "old Dhaka" would be charming like 'old Damascus' we were so wrong. The experience did confirm that it will be a long time before going back. Maybe the next time someone visits. In all it was an interesting (back stressful) experience. We mainly went to Bongo Bazaar to do a little shopping, be followed and stared at by the masses, and sweat copiously. Ohh and I got three t shirts that don't fit for a little over a dollar a piece.



This woman followed us around as a 'guide' to the bazaar and was quite helpful in making sense of the maze inside the market. She also 'helped' bargain and thankfully kept other 'guides' away. Dave and Caroline had there own 'guides' .... mine had a kickin' unibrow and I only had to pay her 100 taka.



1 comments:

Jonathan and Matt said...

How many TAKA to a DOLLAR?
...and...
What beautiful fabrics!!!!!
...and most importantly...
What is the lady frying, and did you eat it?